2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Spring 2023
When I moved to Wales in 2011, I soon realised that relying upon my beloved TREK (then a 30-year-old bicycle) was not going to be practical, so in 2012 I purchased my Dawes Ultra Galaxy.
Having read about the legendary Dawes brand, I set out to find a size and model which fit my desires. It was November and choices were pretty slim, but luckily I found a 2011 Ultra Galaxy (in my size!) at Spa Cycles in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England.

In fact, the bike had not been assembled or inspected, it was still in the box as shipped from Dawes/Tailand to their shop. Then sight unseen or tried for fit, I gave the kind gentleman on the other end of the telephone my credit card number. The rest is history.
Today, after 12 years and nearly 70k miles on the frame, I can say with utmost honesty and sincerity... this bike ROCKS! She has performed flawlessly and done everything (and more) of what I've asked of her.
Of course, most every component has been replaced many times over. She's been customized completely (see the spec sheet below...) But despite all my changes and modifications, Dawes nailed it with the frame geometry and fabrication.
El Camino — When I moved to the UK, most cyclists were running 700c rims on their "road bikes" (as they are now called) and at that time, the selection of 27" tyres was very limited. This consideration, along with the age of my TREK 412, I thought it wise to purchase a new touring bike.

For years I had heard of the Dawes brand as the "best British-made touring bicycles". They are legendary and the Dawes Galaxy has a vibrant cult following (see: Dawes Cycle Heritage) . After much research, I found the size and spec I wanted at the equally legendary Spa Cycles and in January of 2012, I ordered online my 2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy.

This is my "do-everything and go-anywhere" bike. She's my commuter, my daily-rider, my winter bike, my gravel bike, my randoneur, and my touring bike. I have no qualms about taking her almost anywhere. She's a tough old girl.

I'm currently on my third set of rims, fourth crankset, second set of front and rear derailleurs, countless chains, cassettes, and tyres. I replaced the stock "brifters" with bar-end shifters and Origin8 brake levers in 2015 and some might question my replacement of the Avid "Shorty" cantilever brakes with Shimano V-brakes, but I love 'em. I upgraded the handlebars to the Ritchie Ergomax in 2020.

I had no idea at the time that this bicycle would become such a workhorse for me. She's absolutely amazing. Comfortable, reliable, sturdy, and after nearly 70k miles under her saddle, she is still going strong. I cannot say enough good things about this girl. She ROCKS!