The Workshop
Spring 2023
Over the past few years my collection of bicycles has expanded and now I'm also the proud owner of a workshop in which to keep my treasures; Birchwood.
I'm not a collector of bicycles; I like to ride and I put quite a few miles on my bikes. I love the look of a racing bike, but those are not for me. I need strong, durable work-horses — bikes capable of carrying loads of gear.

I ride touring bikes. Long, steel frames completely out of fashion and mostly unheard of in these days of carbon fibre, utlra-light-weight, gravel bikes. I don't need hydraulic disc brakes, electronic shifting, or tubeless tyres. I'm old school all the way.

What's Inside the Workshop:
Some of the stuff I generally carry include; an assortment of tools, rain gear, snacks/lunch, coffee, and a camera. I like to go out for long rides lasting all day (or more). I try to be prepared. I'd rather have it and not need it than — need it and not have it.
Year: 2011
Nickname: El Camino
This is my main ride. With over 60k under her saddle, she's a real champ. Strong and comfortable. I ride her anywhere I want.
  • steel frame & fork
  • 12/36 9-speed
  • 26/36/48 crankset
  • V-brakes
  • bar-end shifters
  • Year: 1979
    Nickname: Lizzie
    My vintage girlfriend, my first love showed me the world of cycle touring. She's been with me everywhere. I'm so proud to still have her after all these years.
  • steel frame & fork
  • 14/28 6-speed
  • 26/36/46 crankset
  • side-pull brakes
  • down-tube shifters
  • Year: 1995
    Nickname: Lady Purple
    Everytime I ride this bike I am surprised out how fun she is. Light and lively; she goes anywhere I ask of her. Who says 26" tyres are dead?
  • aluminium frame & steel fork
  • 7-speed
  • 24/34/42 crankset
  • V brakes
  • thumb shifters
  • Year: 2021
    Nickname: Joroto!
    I have a love/hate relationship with this girl. In form, she represents everything wrong about cycling. In practice, she keeps me in shape for when I can get back on the road.
  • All Steel!
  • maagnetic resitance
  • belt drive, 35lb. flywheel
  • no brakes, just keep pedaling!
  • no gears, just pedal!

  • Wait! There's more!... In 2020 I began keeping track of how often and how far I ride each bike, so of course I had to create a spreadsheet and webpage!